Zend is a popular PHP Framework. It is an open-source MVC framework. It is required for developing, modern web applications. Zend Framework (ZF) is an object-oriented web application framework. It is written in PHP 7 and licensed under the New BSD License. Initially, they released it on 3 March 2006 and its stable release was on 28 June 2016. Zend Framework offers PHP stack. It is a collection of skilled PHP based packages. It has 345 million installations. It gives Zend server to run Zend framework applications. It makes programming easier. It is quick and easy to learn the framework.
The main sponsor of Zend Framework is Zend, a Rogue Wave Company. Many others have given important features to the framework. Companies like Google, Microsoft, and StrikeIron are partnered with Zend.
Why Zend Framework?
- Everything you need is available in the box: Zend is a comprehensive stack framework. It contains all that you need to develop a website. For example, authentication, searching, localization, PDF creation etc.
- The Modern Design Pattern: It uses many design patterns and tries to minimize the effort of developers.
- Easy to learn: In a Zend framework you needn’t worry about to learn the whole framework and its components. It can be learned in a one go. So, we can learn it step by step. We can get the most benefits out of it.
- Simple and Developing: The code which is carried by Zend is easy, tested and reliable. We need not worry about the coding section. With ZF we can use the underlying components. We can learn the things that can be done quickly.
- Full Documentation: In ZF, there are two ways of doing the documentation. One is API and other is end-user. We use PHP Documentor to do API documentation.
Why Zend Framework should be your PHP framework of choice?
- It allows developers to use their own special variations. You don’t have to hack into the ZF codebase itself. Being able to customize ZF, allows you to create functionality. It is unique for your project. Moreover, because of its object-oriented nature, you can use this functionality in other projects.
- Its main advantage is the ability to make code reusable. Since nobody likes to repeat themselves, this is a great thing.
- You can use Zend MVC components to create a fully-functional ZF project. In any other case, you can just load the components you require. ZF is very dissociated. It means we can take advantage of the components as individual libraries. We don’t have to use the framework as a whole. In short, you can take whatever you need and leave the rest. The PHP library is endorsed by Google to access its API. The framework allows us to use the component in any project. No matter whatever the framework we used to build it.
- ZF has so many components. Be it Zend_Auth, Zend_Acl, Zend_Form or Zend_Feed zend offers a variety of components. Zend comes with some demos. It shows how to use its different components.
- It doesn’t have the model implementation. It means that the developer is free to use whatever means he has to implement. Or even just combine existing implementations. Being free of restraints, the developer can create complex implementations, rather than just simple representations of tables. This is how usual Model implementations are created.
- Zend Framework’s nature makes it very easy to integrate other libraries that we want to use. For example, if you want to use Smarty as your templating system, you can do it by creating a wrapping class for Zend_View_Abstract. It uses a Smarty instance to render the view.
- Zend is developed with a very extensive Contributor Guideline. It states that every contributor for both documentation and/or code, at any level must sign a Contribute License Agreement (CLA). The Code MUST be tested and covered by a unit test using PHP Unit. And it must adhere to strict Coding Standards. The guidelines ensure that you only use readable, high-quality code. It has been tested thoroughly.
- Due to its multiple components and fully object-oriented approach, Zend Framework is easier to learn. It becomes easier due to the comprehensiveness of its documentation. Its Programmer’s Reference Guide boasts a complete guide to all ZF components. Aside from this, there are a lot of blogs that share Zend Framework tips and tricks.
In the early days of PHP, developers combined the HTML & PHP coding altogether. But it became messy when they needed to change anything on the page. With Zend Framework make changes with so much ease. ZF contains a huge set of components like PDF generation, Searching text etc. Developers found the solution in a way that they diversify each section of the page. For example, header section, database connectivity, footer section etc.
If you’re still unsure about learning and using Zend Framework, remember one thing. Zend offers Zend Framework Certification and PHP Certification. This reason makes Zend Framework different from all the others. None of the frameworks would be of help to you if you aren’t able to take full advantage of their features. So, try the Zend framework and enhance your skills.