Technology is one thing that keeps evolving and advancing. The popularity of technology most depends on its usage by various industries. Some technology trends frizz out easily while some latest upcoming technologies get huge support by industries and thus become popular.
Moreover, if one industry sees success with the use of any latest technology trends, it has chances to stay at the top for a while. In the end, it’s all about what these trends can offer to businesses and end users. If they are satisfied and bring extraordinary changes, it will certainly grow.
In 2018, we saw a bunch of up and coming technologies leave their impression on users. By 2020, these will become mainstream. Thus, it is crucial firms are aware of them. That is why we have created a list of top 10 technological trends for 2020. Here let’s learn more about them in details.
Technology Trends in 2020
1. Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence is one technology that continuously surprises us. Since the last few years, AI experts have worked hard to integrate this technology in various fields. It has become a popular trend, and by 2020 it will definitely be one of the top technology trends.
Due to AI, computers can see and learn everything like a human. With the huge amount of data available, Artificial Intelligence Technology is becoming more advanced. The bulk data helps AI learn faster and be more accurate. By 2020, it will be capable of handling more human tasks smoothly.
Many experts believe that AI is one future technological trend that has great potential. It is capable of claiming a total market share of USD 120-180 billion by 2020, and that too standalone.
Here are some predictions for AI:
- The number of AI assistant will increase and about 20% of people in developed countries will use them. Currently Siri, Google Assistant, and Alexa are the most prominent AI assistant.
- Artificial Intelligence projects for enterprises will get more funding.
- A report by Gartner says that AI will create 2.3 million more jobs. It will also terminate 1.8 million jobs.
- It will generate more revenue and productivity.
NLP is the technology that helps computers understand human language and process it. With the integration of Natural Language Processing in Chatbots development; they will definitely become one of the technological trends in 2020. Using NLP, Chatbots understand the intention behind human words and act accordingly. Even now they have redefined the relationship between a business and its users. With NLP, it will reach its maximum potential.
- If enterprises adopt this technology trend, by 2020, they will achieve 29.4% CAGR.
- The total market value of NLP will be $16.07 billion by 2020.
Here are the future predictions for NLP:
- With the aid of NLP apps and electronic devices will easily understand the true meaning behind any sayings.
- Anything from puns to sarcasm will become clear to up and coming technologies that integrates NLP.
- It will also ease things for users as they can ask things through their natural way of talking.
The current state of Blockchain is enough to predict that it will have a significant place in the top 10 technologies of 2020. Slowly, but surely, it is making a mark in many industries. By 2020, maximum firms will be using it.
Even Cryptocurrency which is an important tool of Blockchain will be prominent in 2020. It will get divided into a number of currencies and will float the market. Maximum people will do a daily transaction with their aid globally.
Here are some future predictions for Blockchain:
- Gartner predicts that by 2020, banks will derive a business value of 1 billion dollars by using Blockchain (Cryptocurrencies).
- It will increase job opportunities as people Blockchain developers will be in high demand.
- Moreover, most government will use Blockchain databases for storing bulk data.
4. Internet of Things(IoT)
Internet of Things is a vast network of interconnected things that exchanges data with the internet and other things. These things include homes, vehicles, sensors, humans and so on. Since, the last few years, IoT always had a spot in the list of future technological trends, and list for 2020 is no different. Currently, the smart home is the best example of IoT technology, but more projects for the same are in the pipeline. By 2020, billions of things will be connected to the internet making them smarter. A prediction done by IHS states that by 2020, the number of the internet of things device will reach 75 billion.
Here are some more predictions for IoT in 2020:
- Cities will become smart, and the industry of smart home will have a market value of $53 billion.
- Routers will have security and will have built-in antivirus and malware to fight hackers.
- It will increase job opportunities.
- With the aid of IoT, the self-driving car will become a reality. Of course, Google is already testing its prototype. But by 2020, many firms will come up with their own self-driving cars.
5. Edge Computing
Edge computing is one up and coming technology that will become mainstream by 2020. With the growth of the internet of things, this trend will become popular too.
It is a computing element where everything is situated close to the source of information. Due to this, it has a lot of benefits like latency and connectivity challenges, and higher functionality. Dropbox, General Electric and Nest security system are business applications of edge computing.
Here are some predictions:
- By 2020, enterprises will shift from cloud to edge computing. It will be because it takes a few milliseconds to perform an action as compared to a few thousand milliseconds taken by cloud.
- The market share of edge computing will be $6.72 billion.
- By2020, 45% of data that IoT device creates will be processed, stored and analyzed by edge computing.
6. Prescriptive Analysis
By 2020, the prescriptive analysis will become a big part of several industries. The prescriptive analysis is a term that means finding the best plan and coming to a decision about the predicted future. It answers questions such as what to do in a certain situation and why to do it?
Here are some predictions:
- Gartner predicts that there will be a 35% increase in the use of PA by 2020.
- It will be used by banks and supply chains.
- Even the healthcare industry will make use of prescriptive analysis to foresee cost, bed counts census and so on.
By 2020, users globally will enjoy the fast speed of 5G internet and all perks attached to it. 6G would be the new technology of 2020 that will have various benefits. These include high speed, lower latency and higher capacity of the internet. Due to these advantages, 5G is one of the top 10 technology trends for 2020.
Here the prediction for 5G:
- With the help of 5G, it will be possible for autonomous vehicles and wireless VR to work easily.
- It will provide higher data rates up to 2GBPS ideal for VR and AR apps, Internet of things and so on. Also, users will have more safety.
8. Facial Recognition
iPhone X started the trend of facial recognition. But by 2020, most industries will use this trend in various applications and devices. Currently, the only application of facial recognition is unlocking your phone by looking at it. By 2020, users will be able to lot more.
Here are some predictions:
- Users will be able to unlock their house and car (who would be connected to the net) using facial recognition.
- Using only your face, you will be able to withdraw money from the ATM.
Clearly, automation has become significant in current times. Automating production and delivery of goods means there is less chance of human error. By 2020, it will definitely become one of the top technology trends. Automation, as we all know, is a process of creating technology that can control and monitor various aspects of a product with minimum human assistance. It is widely used in various fields like manufacturing, defense, transport, and utilities and so on.
It started with juice box packaging, and now automation is one trend that is globally popular.
Here are some predictions related to automation:
- Automation will add $512 billion to financial services.
- The market share for robotic process automation will grow by 41% year to year by 2020.
- By 2020, it will become an indispensable part of every industry especially mixed with robotics, machine learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
Technological trends in 2020 are incomplete without a voice. There was a time when the use of voice was limited to talking on the mobile phone. But with voice technologies like Apple’s Siri, Google’s Assistant, Amazon’s Alexa and Microsoft’s Cortana; we have seen the potential of this technology trend. The applications of these voice technologies are numerous.
Here are some predictions for Voice technology:
- By 2020, there will be a huge increase in the number of voice-based mobile applications.
- Voice technology will provide answers based on contextual understandings.
- They will be able to provide users with customized and individual experiences as they get better at differentiating between voices.
- All the devices that the user uses will perform functions at the command of our voice.
- With the help of machine learning, NPL and other users will use voice command for daily activities.
- Some experts also believe that by 2020, voice search will increase by 50%.
Here are two technology trends that will also find more takers in 2020:
- Big Data
The time when augmented reality and virtual reality was used only in games is over. Now, many industries like healthcare and Defense amongst others are using AR/VR based apps for training and patient care.
Here are some predictions for AR/VR:
- By 2020, the combined market value of AR and VR will be around the US $215 billion.
- Augmented reality will have one billion users by 2020.
- These technologies will help people learn more in different industries.
These were the top technology trends that will become mainstream by 2020. These up and coming technologies sure have some drawbacks, but the benefits users and enterprises will yield from them is far better. It is high time for every business out there to start investing in most of these trends if they want to survive the stiff competition. Don’t wait till 2020, time to hit the rod now when it’s hot.