Your e-commerce website is apparently performing well in all aspects as you were expecting. Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is the most important decision for your e-commerce business that you need to take into account.
So are you planning to migrate your Magento eCommerce platform from Magento 1 to Magento 2 then you are on the right track? If you are not planning or going for it then you must think about it again.
I think most of the people who are using Magento version 1.9 which is an outdated version. And now Magento has stopped providing the version updates. Also, the latest Magento news which came out was Magento 1.x version will stop in 2020.
There are more than 200,000 online sites which are using Magento and about 10-12,000 sites are there which are using Magento 2 as a platform. So if you don’t know a bit about the migration part, then don’t worry this article covers all the topics you just want to know about.
Why you should migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2?
- Magento has stopped introducing new updates in the Magento 1
- All the changes which are required in the Magento 1 are done in Magento 2.
- Magento 2 with its new updates provides better and optimized results. It improves the overall site performance.
Magento 2.0 Benefits
Magento 2 the most promising Magento e-commerce platform ever comes featured with strong architecture, future-ready & modern codebase and dynamic database design. E-commerce development companies have made it more valuable and reliable to the retailers or e-commerce store owners.
Here are some of the benefits that you can expect from migrating to Magento 2–
- Enhanced Performance
- Dynamic CMS / Cataloging
- Attractive and eye-catching UI Design
- Easy to use Admin Panel
- Fast Load Times
- Enhanced Results Tracking & Visibility
- Better Omnichannel Commerce Experiences
- Ready-to-use Marketing Tools
Now the following questions come in your mind when you give a thought about Magento 2 migration.
How to perform migration? What is the perfect time to perform the migration? What amount of money and time required for migration? Can data loss occur during the migration?
Well, here you will get the genuine answers for these above questions-
What is the right time to perform migration?
It is very important to know the best time for migration. Perform the migration during that time when traffic on your website is low.
Before you start the migration to consider the following things for hassle-free migration-
- Review extensions on your current site
- Build and prepare the Magento 2 store for migration
- Trial run
- Start your migration
Can data loss occur during the migration?
No! no data loss occurs during the migration. But to avoid any obstacles on your way, we suggest you to take complete data backup before data migration of your e-commerce website. And migrate the data with the help of the data migration tool.
Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Easy steps you should follow for the migration process:-
- Extension Migration
- Theme Migration
- Code Customization using Code Migration Tool
- Data Migration using the Data Migration Tool
Starting with Step 1 which is Extension Migration now what you need to do is.
- Check for the Magento 1 extensions if they are compatible with the version of the same.
- If you find that the extensions are compatible with the version 2 of the platforms then you don’t need to worry about changing the extensions and if you find that the extensions are not compatible with the version then you might need to add new extensions according to the newer version of the platform. Magento 1 to Magento 2 data migration extensions are different.
2. Theme Migration
This being the step 2 for the migration process from Magento 1 to Magento 2
- It’s the same process we did in Extension Migration which is to check the compatibility of the theme in version 1 & version 2 of Magento.
- If the theme is same then it will be a lot easier process of migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2
- If it says that the theme is not compatible with the upgraded version then you might need to create a customized theme in Magento 2 or you should buy a Magento 2 theme
3. Code Customization using Code Customization Tool
Code customization is a very major part of the migration process because it all depends upon the code of your website. To migrate your website from Magento 1 to Magneto 2 you need to customize your code.
- Magento 2 customization is generally done through the code migration tool.
- It will enormously decrease the work involved in the code migration.
- Well after the code generation part it could happen that you might have to add some of the code manually.
4. Data Migration Using Data Migration Tool
To migrate your database from Magento 1 to Magento 2 you might need to use the data migration tool. The Magento 2 Data Migration tool is a very useful tool for a smooth migration. With this tool, you can migrate any critical data such as orders, configuration settings, store settings, products and many more.
So don’t wait just take a ride here with the blog towards the step you should take in data migration
Here are all the steps you should take in Data Migration
Installing the Data Migration Tool
- You should check for the version for both the Migration tool and Magento 2, they should be the same. Let’s take an example like Magento Version is 2.0 then the Data Migration tool which you should be downloading is 2.0. And if you don’t know your Magento version then you don’t need to worry, Just Navigate to the root directory via the SSH terminal and try this command:
- PHP bin/Magento –v
- Now after this you know the version of your Magento 2 Development you can install the appropriate version data migration tool.
If you want to change the location of the Data Migration Tool so you can update for the same in the .json file named as composer.json in the Magento 2 root directory.
- Now you should make sure that the data migration tool should have access to connect to Magento 1 & 2 databases. If not then you must open the corresponding ports in your firewall.
There are 5 things you must know before migrating from Magento1 to Magento2:
- Your Magento 1.0 theme will not work with your Magento 2.0
- Magento 1 extension doesn’t work with Magento 2
- You will be needing to test your plan
- It could happen that you need to migrate again and again.
- You could have SEO issues
These are some points to consider these points before migrating.
Creating a Migration Plan before starting the process is the major steps of all which is to be taken. Also, you should plan and test your migration thoroughly to avoid any issues. The guidelines below will be helpful for further process.
- It is recommended that you should stop all your activities on Magento 1.x Admin Panel, except for your order management like creating an invoice, order shipping, etc. These activities can be allowed in the delta mode of the Data Migration Tool.
- Well in this process it is must that all the activities must be stopped but if still there are some activities that can’t be avoided then one must make sure that those activities do not create new database or change the existing one also keeping in mind that such entities cannot be processed in the Delta Mode.
- Use the data migration tool to migrate the settings and websites.
- To Migrate all the media files from Magento 1 to Magento 2 then you must copy all the media files from x to 2.x. It is mandatory that you should migrate the files manually from magento1-root/media to magento2-root/pub/media.
- If the data is taking time to migrate from magento1 to magento2 then you can use the data migration tool to migrate the bulk data from Magento1 to Magento2 database.
- In the case where the Magento 2 database is different from Magento 1 database then you can use the data migration mapping tool.
Business Size Migration Timeline Migration Costs
Small 2 – 3 months < $35,000
Medium 3 – 4 months < $62,000
Large 4 – 6+ months < $102,000
Migration is an easy process if you are up for it. Shifting your website from Magento1 to Magento 2 is a really big thing you manually need to shift all your files and media through the Data Migration Tool.
This is all you need to know about the Migration process from Magento1 to Magento2. Now start your own Magento project. Migrate from Magento1 to Magento2 by easily following the steps. You must hire the best magneto 2 developer. Read More