Magento platform is an open-source e-commerce platform supported in PHP. It was developed by US private company which was likely to Headquartered in California. Migration is the controversial question which arises here? Migration from Magento to Magento 2 what you should do? When should you perform this migration? What amount of money is required for migration? So, these are some general questions which arise when you give a thought about Magento 2 migration.
So are you planning to migrate your Magento eCommerce platform from Magento 1 to Magento 2 then you are on the right track? If you are not planning or going for it then you must think about it again.
I think most of the people who are using Magento version 1.9 which is an outdated version. And now Magento has stopped providing the version updates. Also, the latest Magento news which came out was Magento 1.x version will stop in 2020.
There are more than 2’00’000 online sites which are using Magento and about 10-12’000 sites are there which are using Magento 2 as a platform. So if you don’t know a bit about the migration part, then don’t worry this article covers all the topics you just want to know about.
Let’s talk about the first question here
Why you should migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2?
- Magento has stopped introducing new updates in the Magento 1
- All the changes which are required in the Magento 1 are done in Magento 2.
- Magento 2 with its new updates provides better and optimized results. It improves the overall site performance.
Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Easy steps you should follow for the migration process:-
- Extension Migration
- Theme Migration
- Code Customization using Code Migration Tool
- Data Migration using the Data Migration Tool
– Extension Migration
Starting with Step 1 which is Extension Migration now what you need to do is.
- Check for the Magento 1 extensions if they are compatible with the version of the same.
- If you find that the extensions are compatible with the version 2 of the platforms then you don’t need to worry about changing the extensions and if you find that the extensions are not compatible with the version then you might need to add new extensions according to the newer version of the platform. Magento 1 to Magento 2 data migration extensions is different.
– Theme Migration
This being the step 2 for the migration process from Magento 1 to Magento 2
- It’s the same process we did in the in Extension Migration which is to check the compatibility of the theme in version 1 & version 2 of Magento.
- If the theme is same then it will be a lot easier process of migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2
- If it says that the theme is not compatible with the upgraded version then you might need to create a customized theme in Magento 2 or you should buy a Magento 2 theme
– Code Customization using Code Customization Tool
Code customization is the very major part of migration process because it all depends upon the code your website. To migrate your website from Magento 1 to Magneto 2 you need to customize your code.
- Magento 2 customization is generally done through the code migration tool.
- It will enormously decrease the work involved in the code migration.
- Well after the code generation part it could happen that you might have to add some of the code manually.
– Data Migration Using Data Migration Tool
To migrate your database from Magento 1 to Magento 2 you might need to use the data migration tool. The Magento 2 Data Migration tool is a very useful tool for a smooth migration. With this tool, you can migrate any critical data such as orders, configuration settings, store settings, products and many more.
So don’t wait just take a ride here with the blog towards the step you should take in data migration
Here are all the steps you should take in Data Migration
Installing the Data Migration Tool
- You should check for the version for both the Migration tool and Magento 2, they should be the same. Let’s take an example like Magento Version is 2.0 then the Data Migration tool which you should be downloading is 2.0. And if you don’t know your Magento version then you don’t need to worry, Just Navigate to the root directory via the SSH terminal and try this command:
- PHP bin/Magento –v
- Now after this you know the version of your Magento 2 Development you can install the appropriate version data migration tool.
If you want to change the location of the Data Migration Tool so you can update for the same in the .json file named as composer.json in the Magento 2 root directory.
- Now you should make sure that the data migration tool should have access to connect to Magento 1 & 2 databases. If not then you must open the corresponding ports in your firewall.
There are 10 things you must know before migrating from Magento1 to Magento2:
- Your Magento 1.0 theme will not work with your Magento2.0
- Magento 1 extension doesn’t work with Magento 2
- You will be needing to test your plan
- It could happen that you need to migrate again and again.
- You could have SEO issues
These are some points to consider these points before migrating.
Creating a Migration Plan before starting the process is the major steps of all which is to be taken. Also, you should plan and test your migration thoroughly to avoid any issues. The guidelines below will be helpful for further process.
- It is recommended that you should stop all your activities on Magento 1.x Admin Panel, except for your order management like creating an invoice, order shipping, etc. These activities can be allowed in the delta mode of the Data Migration Tool.
- Well in this process it is must that all the activities must be stopped but if still there are some activities that can’t be avoided then one must make sure that those activities do not create new database or change the existing one also keeping in mind that such entities cannot be processed in the Delta Mode.
- Use the data migration tool to migrate the settings and websites.
- To Migrate all the media files from Magento 1 to Magento 2 then you must copy all the media files from x to 2.x. It is mandatory that you should migrate the files manually from magento1-root/media to magento2-root/pub/media.
- If the data is taking time to migrate from magento1 to magento2 then you can use the data migration tool to migrate the bulk data from Magento1 to Magento2 database.
- In the case where the Magento 2 database is different from magento1 database then you can use the data migration mapping tool.
Migration is an easy process if you are up for it. Shifting your website from Magento1 to Magento 2 is a really big thing you manually need to shift all your files and media through the Data Migration Tool.
This is all you need to know about the Migration process from Magento1 to Magento2. Now start your own Magento project. Migrate from Magento1 to Magento2 by easily following the steps. You must hire the best magneto 2 developer. Read More