Java is a popular language without any doubt. And, developers around the world are enjoying making code in Java as it’s one of the most important tools for the Android App Development. Yes! Java is everywhere. Java is object-oriented, class-based and runtime environment (JRE) that let Java developers to Write Once, Run Anywhere (WORA) on all Java-supportive platforms without the need of recompilation. But now the time has changed, in the smartphone-driven world, we all need some advancement and modern language or technology for mobile app development. Before diving into it, you need to know why? Why new technology is defeating the old one?
However, there is one modern and advanced programming language, i.e. Kotlin, which Google has officially adopted as the supported language for mobile app development. It was developed by JetBrains. A long time ago, at Google’s last I/O conference in 2017, Kotlin received huge applause and cheerful admiration from Android developers and rose as a compelling new programming language for Android Application Development.
Although, there are various mobile app maker tools available in the market that are holding their position for a specific purpose. These frameworks are Ionic, React Native, Xamarin, PhoneGap, Flutter and so forth.
Remember that if you are completely new in programming and wants to learn programming Android Development, then you should go with Java. But if you are experienced developer in Java development and wants to switch to a new trending programming language, then you can choose Kotlin.
So the question is that Kotlin VS Java, which is best for Android App Development?
It’s very hard to say that which is best, but the truth is that Java is ruling the entire world even universe, while Kotlin has emerged as the most loved programming language among Android developers.
Both the languages have their separate fanbase. Developers’ perception of Kotlin and Java are different or even change person to person. But if talk about figures, Kotlin has hogged the limelight of Java and continues to rise in popularity in terms of mobile app development.
So here we have decided to talk a little about each language.
Kotlin, developed by JetBrains and open-source community, is considered as a statically typed open-source programming language based on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
Google has announced Kotlin as the official language of Android. It can be compiled and interpreted with Java as it’s supported by leading IDEs and compatible for Java 6 or Java 8 and.
Top famous applications made in Kotlin are Pinterest Evernote, Uber, Corda, Gradle, Pivotal and Coursera.
What comes in mind when you hear about Java?, Of course, Secure and High Performance.
Java, introduced by Sun Microsystems in 1991, is an object-oriented and class-based programming language that is very similar to C++. Now, owned by Oracle, it’s well-known amongst the developer community worldwide. Java is one of the oldest programming languages in the world used in nearly every device platform available. It comes with simplified and advanced features that simplified the programming for web and app development.
What is Good About Java?
- It’s easy to understand and learn.
- It’s best for both native and cross-platform app development.
- Code written in it can easily run in a browser or in a Virtual Machine.
- Vast open source tools and libraries to write code with less time.
- Google’s Android OS uses Java API packages.
- It has wide community support that provides regular updates about the new version and features.
- High Performance and Secure.
- Android Studio written in Java itself, it is easy to write code for Android applications.
- Platform independent means an application written on one platform can be easily ported to another platform.
What Disappoint Developers About Java?
- Verbosity- in Java, you would require more code which usually increases the chances of errors or bugs.
- Execution time disappoints the most developers as it takes too much time for executing large applications or a bunch of files.
- Java requires more memory compared to other languages and hence tends to be slower
- In Java, due to inherent limitations, developers face problems with the Android API design.
What is Good About Kotlin?
- Adopting Kotlin doesn’t cost anything.
- Developers love writing code in Kotlin as it takes a few lines to build any kind of Android apps, for the same operation where you write 20-50 lines in Java, the same task can be done in just 2-3 lines in Kotlin. So fewer chances of bugs and errors.
- Switching from Java to Kotlin is easy.
- It increases productivity
- It helps developers in building of Clean APIs
- Kotlin is interoperable with Java, means you can use all existing Java libraries, JVM, and frameworks.
- Developers who know Java can easily learn Kotlin because both the languages are based on the same concepts and logic.
- Kotlin is very similar to Apple’s Swift language in terms of language features and flexibility.
- There is Anko Library is also available for Kotlin.
- Kotlin Beats Java in Data Classes
Downsides of Kotlin
- In a comparison of Java, it shows a slower compilation speed.
- Lake of resources
- Limited learning resources
I hope this article- showing the comparison between Java vs Kotlin will help you understand which of these is best for development. If you have any query related to mobile app development, feel free to contact us.