Cloud services are everywhere and they are crucial when you or your firm has taken the decision to start developing an app. Arriving at this decision is probably an easy step, what comes after is a bit difficult, and that is to find the correct cloud services (SaaS-based product development company) for your application and infrastructure deployment.
Cloud is a broader concept than just a storage device for data on the internet. Almost all the online services are covered by cloud, but when we talk about businesses, only three things that matter are SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS.
It is very hard to choose among the three as they all come with their own challenges, advantages, and capabilities which is beneficial for app development services. But we do need to come to a decision, and select one and this blog will help you with that.
Below, we will study all three cloud services separately, and find out what is it, how it works, and what makes it good for the business? Once, this part is clear we will read some crucial points that will help you find out the difference among SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS.
1. SaaS (Software as a service)
SaaS development services are one of the most popular cloud services and not only for the firm owners but for consumers too. Some of the A-lister websites and apps use this cloud services like- Netflix, Google Apps, Salesforce, DropBox, Gmail, and WebEx.
Here are its features:
- The remote serves hosts the software, and that means that you can access it from anywhere and anytime by just using your web browser. This also means that you don’t have to go through the hassle of downloading and installing the software.
- You can develop and manage apps from any particular location.
- No updates or patches have to be done by the users.
- The SaaS developments services give the deployment and management tasks to the third party which helps in APIs integration too.
- It is provided on a subscription basis so it is cost effective as there is no need to install, download or update it.
It is suitable for:
- The apps that keep fluctuating because of the increase and decrease in demands like flight bookings that are high during festivals or closer to the traveling date and vice versa.
- The apps required for both web and mobile (app) like Sales management system and CRM.
- Startups ups who want to quickly launch their apps or other things should use SaaS development tools as there is no need for installing the software, updating it and server configurations
- Short-term projects that require rapid setup and easy payment
2. PaaS (Platform as a service)
A PaaS development service is quite similar to SaaS in some respect, but it also exhibits some unique feature. Firstly, it requires the users to go through the servers. iPhone app Development Company use this platform to develop apps without worrying about software updates or any other requirements that are needed for an IOS development. It lets the user use the components that are baked in it to create their own apps.
- Apps built using PaaS has all the characteristics of the cloud-like scalability, availability, and tenancy.
- It develops the apps quickly and is cheaper. It also decreases the coding amount, helps automates company policies, and aids in migrating the app to hybrid clouds.
- With the help of PaaS, users can manage their servers, OS and other things better.
- All the databases and web services are integrated.
- It lets multiple users use the similar development app.
- It provides a bundle of services like app development, app testing, app deployment, and app hosting software.
It is suitable for:
- Several developers who are part of a single project which also includes external parties. PaaS makes the process for app development easy, quick and efficient.
- Big firms who want apps, which are customized according to their needs and business goals.
- A firm that has an underlying infrastructure and intends to invest in other things, then using PaaS development services will help you save a lot of money.
- If you use an agile methodology for app development, go for PaaS as it lets the user make an app quickly and even the launch is prompt. Some of the companies using this cloud service are Amazon web services, Microsoft Azure and so on.
3. IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service)
It is the most agile cloud computing model that enables deployment of storage, servers, OS, network and on-demand service together. The firm using IaaS development services uses resources on demand instead of using all at once.
- A single piece of hardware can be used by multiple users.
- For development, resources can be accessed as service
- It has many scaling abilities whose cost depends on different infrastructure type.
- It isa flexible cloud computing model.
It is suitable for:
- Firms that want total control over the high performing apps that they are developing.
- Apps that need changes/modification often due to fluctuations in traffic and demand.
- Startups and small firms who don’t want to or can’t invest in housing software and hardware.
- For app developers who are not sure about their app and might change it in the future.
Now, that we know what they all do, let us find out the difference among SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS.
Here are the points that will help us understand the difference between software as services and other cloud services.
1. What do these cloud services do
IaaS: User can get the infrastructure they want and pay on the type of the infrastructure. It allows a user to use any software, OS and other related items.
PaaS: Users can choose the software, OS and other things and they will get a platform with the required needs and payment will be made accordingly.
SaaS: It assesses your needs and provides a platform which is pre-installed and configured and you can pay accordingly.
2. What does it provide?
IaaS: It provides a basic level for app computing.
PaaS: It provides the top packages of IaaS.
SaaS: It provides a full-fledged pack of services.
3. Technical knowledge
IaaS: To run this cloud service you need full technical knowledge.
PaaS: The basic set-up is provided, but still a little technical know-how is needed.
SaaS: No technical knowledge is needed for this.
4. It handles
IaaS: servers, networks, load balancers, virtual machines, and storage.
PaaS: Java runtimes, web servers and databases like MySql and Oracle.
SaaS: Apps for emails and social networking sites.
5. Who requires it?
IaaS: Skilled developers and researcher who requires custom configuration
PaaS: Developers who develop apps and scripts, and don’t require server management or traffic load.
SaaS: Normal users, customers or companies which need software for file sharing, emails, and social networking, and don’t want to get into technical details.
These are the differences among SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS. All the three cloud services are unique and crucial. You need to select the one that goes with the type of app you are developing. SaaS development service is best if you want to create software and provide them as a service to clients. IaaS stands for app computing and provides an infrastructure. PaaS supplies software packages that help in software development. To make the most out of cloud services, hire a good cloud development company. It should have expertise in SaaS and other cloud development services.