After eCommerce, developing an on-demand marketplace has become a big revolution in today’s world. Like eCommerce, marketplace app doing the same in order to provide the right products and services to demanding consumers. Moreover, there are various apps in the same category, such as the investment marketplace, business app marketplace, etc. But in this article, we will discuss the cost, and features of products/services based marketplace. With 600 million active users, Amazon and eBay are ruling the world. Around 1,00,000 new sellers join Amazon every month.
How Much Does it Cost to Develop a Marketplace App like Amazon?, it has been the most commonly asked question, when it comes to building a marketplace app like Amazon and Etsy. The cost to develop a marketplace app varies according to your requirements and features that you want in an app. Before getting into this, you should do some market research for it.
eCommerce app and marketplace are two different things in itself. The eCommerce application is a one-seller online shopping store. While eCommerce marketplace app is known for multi-vendor or retailers.
Let’s have a look at the stats of eCommerce marketplace, in 2017, the market of online shopping was around $2.3 trillion in sales. And, due to steady growth, it is expected that it will hit $4.5 trillion in near 2021 (according to a Statista report). In the US alone, eCommerce represents almost 10% of retail sales and that number is expected to grow by nearly 15% each year.
Online shopping is at its peak these days. Due to the growing demand for online shopping, various retailers or start-ups consider developing their own marketplace app like Amazon. Since you are reading this article may be one of them. Here we will discuss some important aspects that will help you build an app similar to Amazon.
Smartphones and Shopping apps are becoming a mainstream way for customers to shop for online services and products. In today’s world, every other person has shopping applications in their smartphones to buy services and products online. Using such applications they can easily place their order from a variety of products or services within their budget.
What a customer needs in an e-marketplace app, a very user-friendly interface, smart-filters, a variety of products, easy-check out, multiple payment modes and more. To provide an excellent shopping experience to your customers, you need to add some advanced features to make it better forever.
Types of Online Marketplace
eCommerce marketplace is all about selling and purchasing products and services from resellers.
- Buyer-oriented e-marketplace
- Supplier-oriented e-marketplace
- Vertical and Horizontal e-marketplaces
- Independent e-marketplace
eCommerce Target Audience
- B2B (Business to Business)
- B2C (Business to Customer)
- C2C (Customer to Customer)
Marketplace App Development- Features and Costs
Multilingual: This is the best feature which allows your customers to run an app in that language that they want.
Multi-currency Support: Multi-currency support, this feature is essential to give a seamless shopping experience to your consumers. A customer at the time of payment can change currency.
Subscription: This is one of the best features that you can implement in your app. In this customer can buy a premium account to get a number of benefits.
Google Map Integration: You can integrate Google Map in application to locate the store on the map.
Auto-tax Calculation: This feature in the app will auto-calculate the tax for each product.
Predictive Search: Predictive search allows your customer to directly search the product by name and brand.
Product Tracking: With this feature, your customers can track the live location of their product and can know the estimated time of delivery.
Web-based Admin Panel And Its Feature
- User Management: User management enables the admin to control user access.
- Admin User Management: This is the core feature of eCommerce marketplace application that basically helps admin to access/manage the various operations of an app such as booking management, inventory management and controlling the content.
- Seller Management: In this section, admin can access seller account and increase the conversion rate for their sellers. Admin can accept and delete the seller request.
- Product Management: This is the best feature of a marketplace app which allows admin to access information of the delivered products and in-stock products of all sellers.
- Logistics Management: It is a vital part of any eCommerce business’s operation. This feature will allow you to monitor or track the products, delivered by a logistic partner.
- Report & Analytics: Admin can see the live status, reports or analytics of delivered and available products. Admin can manage the dashboard on which all the sellers, customers and company status are provided.
- Offer and Discount Management: Discount or offer is one of the most popular and effective ways to increase sales. According to terms and services, admin can make a discount/offer strategy for sellers to drive sales.
- Feedback & Support: Customer feedback is important. As an app owner, you should provide this feature in the app to improve services. Admin can check customer’s feedback to improve support and services.
Sellers Panel and Its Features
- Signup: The easy sign-up for sellers is provided using Google Login API’s.
- Login: Seller can easily Login by saving their login details in the application which helps them to login on a click.
- Product Management: Managing Products is easy, using dashboard in the panel sellers can add or remove any product according to the availability of that product.
- Inventory Management: Inventory or stock management, sellers can manage the stock by just updating the stock log details and managing the stock inventory by seeing the details.
- Offers & Discounts: Sellers can set the discount on any product through their dashboard. The discount and coupons provided in the application are only for user’s use and they are updated according to the terms and services.
- Order Management: Nowadays, the user manages more than one product at a time. It could be possible that the product is ordered from the same seller. A seller can view the product booking ID and can manage the order.
- Rating & Reviews: Like a user can review and give a rating to the seller’s product and services provided by the seller. Also, the seller can do the same about the user and can provide the user with a rating according to the user purchase.
- Reports & Analytics: Seller can view the monthly, day-by-day, or annual analytics report of how many sales did he made and what are the products which are sold the most and what are the most liked and disliked product.
- Feedback & Seller Support: Feedback can be good or bad, the user can provide feedback about the seller and the quality of the product they sell.
- Settlement Module: The settlement module is for the sellers and distributors which is managed by the seller through a settlement management system.
- Payments: The third party payment gateways like e-wallets, Net Banking, Debit/Credit cards are major ways through which a payment process works.
- Return Management: Return Management is the process in the application through which a seller manages the product return from the customer and manages it by providing the customer with the same product.
- Notifications: The push notification plays an important role in notifying it there is a new order or any product return or if any customer has provided with feedback and rating about the product and its quality sold by the seller.
Users Panel And Its Features
- Sign up: An individual can sign-up easily to an app using a mobile number and email id to enjoy the shopping.
- Social Sign up: This feature will allow your customers to directly sign up using social information.
- Login: User login can be done through the mobile number and email id that they have provided during the signup.
- User Profile: In this, a user can make changes in their profile such as mobile number, delivery address and more.
- Product Listing With Filters: In this, your customers will get categorized list of products that further can be filtered according to their requirement.
- Offer: Your app must have this feature to lure maximum customers. This section will show the available offers and discounts.
- Seller Profile: Your customers can get the details of seller profile such as address, reviews, and rating. This will also show whether the seller is authorized by the Marketplace or not.
- Rating And Review: Optional, but as an app owner, you can consider this feature for every seller for better customer experience.
- Product Detail Page: This feature will allow your customer to get the full details of the product that they are going to purchase.
- Favorites: This is one of the best features that is common in every marketplace or eCommerce application. You can allow users to explore and create personalized collections of products and save them in the app’s wishlist for further reference.
- Favorites List: This feature provides a convenient way to remind your customers about the products that they had added before.
- Sharing: Sharing products with friends and family is fun and engaging. This feature allows your customer to share the products and services with others. You can reward your users with this feature.
- Rating and Reviews: Optional, but important. Your customers can give rating & reviews for the products or services that they have taken.
- Live Support: Live customer support is the most important feature which helps your customers to chat or call with the technical support executive.
- Payment Modes: The payment modes will be all about how you would be allowing your customers to pay you. Your customers will get a number of payment options while placing a final order.
- Add to Cart: Using this feature, customers are allowed to add selected products in the app cart for future buying.
- Cart: It would be even better if your app will include a cart. Your customer can choose selected products sitting in their shopping cart.
- Delivery Status: This is the must-have feature in the app to increase user engagement. Your customers will get the delivery status of the product that they have placed.
- Checkout Page: This is easy to get complete details of products during the checkout. Product name, Price, Shipping Charge, Tax, Discount, Delivery Address, and Total Cost can be seen in this section.
- Push Notification: This feature will keep the customers hooked on to your app. You can send a push notification to your customers.
- Recently Viewed Items: This feature will surely stand out your application. Your customer will be able to view the products that they had seen before.
- Order History: This is one of the best features of the marketplace eCommerce application. In this after placing the order, your customer will get order history through the mail, phone and in-app order history.
- Track Order: Your customers are able to track their order with real-time information. Even they will get live updates about the orders.
Platforms On Which eCommerce Marketplace App Build
Technologies That Are Used To Develop e-marketplace App
- Google Currency API
- AWS For Cloud Environment
- Mail Chimp Integration, Postgress, Cassandra, HBase, Mongo DB For Database
- Mean Stack
- Google Webmaster
- Mandrill And SendinBlue For Email and SMS
- PayPal & Braintree, e-Wallet, Stripe For Payment
- Push.io, Twilio For Push Notifications
- Twilio, Nexmo For Phone, Voice & SMS Verification
Team Required For This App
- Business Analyst
- Project Manager
- Team Leaders
- App Developers (Android & iOS)
- UX UI Designers
- Back-End Developers
- Database Expert
- QA Expert
The Cost to Develop a Marketplace Application Like Amazon
Well, calculating the exact development cost of an Amazon-like mobile app may be a daunting task. The costs of marketplace app development depend on the features that you want. It also depends on the platforms and the number of hours that developers spend working on the app. Developers from different countries have different hourly rates:
In U.S. Based Company: $80-$250/hour
In Eastern-Europe Based Company: $50-$150/hour
India-based Company: $20-$80/hour
Department Wise Cost Structure:
Front-end & Back-end Development: $9000-$12000
UX/UI Design: $2000-$3000
QA & Testing: $4000-$5000
Moreover, you cannot run the Amazon-like app on a single platform. It’s best if this type of app runs on many platforms like iOS, Android, Windows, and Web. You should go for these platforms if the pocket allows.
If you want to develop a customizable e-marketplace app, then you will need to work on it from scratch. Developing a customizable app may be expensive but has a number of benefits.
The basic cost would come around $10000-$20000. Whereas, keeping all the above factors, the development cost would somewhere near $23000-$50000 for a single platform.