Very soon we will witness the change in the Internet data from 4G to 5G. We all are eagerly waiting for this major change, but the hot burning question is whether the developers are ready for such a revolutionary change? Will the devices support 5G, and are all the research and testing for 5G completed??
Well, the curiosity is over, 5G technology is expected to hit the market in 2020. In this blog, we will read about how 5G will bring advancement in the internet of things devices and what exactly does this new technology offers us.
What is 5G and how will it change the future of the internet?
We have seen a lot of changes from 1G to 4G, and there have been some major breakthroughs in the world of internet. So the question is what is 5G going to bring with it that will change the current picture? It is expected that 5G would tackle most of the 4G problems like coverage issues, speed issues etc. and will provide something more.
Below are the key features of 5G:
- Agile broadband speed to eliminate the problem of speed and connectivity issue.
- There would be no speed drop regardless of the number of devices connected.
- The main focus of 5G is the reduce latency
- The main focus of 5G is to use high spectrum band which integrates a high-frequency signal.
- The users will get 10 GB per user
- The Internet of things will be benefited the most by the advancement in the internet to 5G.
Major challenges faced by 5G developments are:
The main drawback of 5G would be the high cost of implementation as 5G would require a lot of infrastructures. Another drawback of 5G is the number of access points required. This will make the old device outdated and would require major mobile app development that would support 5G.
Preparation for the network core
When internet networks will go for implementing 5G, they will have to do significant changes in the areas of network virtualization, cloud radio access network and MIMO. If mobile networks want to implement the 5G network, they will have to start preparing in advance.
Up gradation from 4G to 5G would be slow and gradual
It is a necessity that implementation of such technologies and services happens in a continuous, on-demand manner. Also, it needs to be ensure that a technology like 5G is compatible with all devices. So, doing all these things will take time.
5G and IoT:
- IoT devices can be classified as smartphones, cars, TV, Fridges, smartwatch, tablets, IPads, and so on.
- The major problem with the internet of things devices and 4G is that of latency. The main focus of 4G was to resolve the bandwidth issues, but nowadays the solution focuses on how many devices can be connected one at a time rather than focusing on bandwidth.
- 5G technology would be smart enough to recognize the data need and assign the bandwidth accordingly. It will use cells which would stay connected with each of the devices and recognize the required data.
- Irrespective of the place the user is, 5G networks will use the cells and would offer the most efficient internet services to devices connected.
- This was regarding the smaller cells which would be installed in several parts of the home to provide better internet bandwidth; the larger cells would be used in a pattern similar to being used now.
- This new technology will focus on the traveling speed of the device and will adapt accordingly. For example, a phone can connect to cells at different places, but a car cannot, as it will lose and re-establish the connection at several different places i.e. it needs to connect to a macro cell for having a continuous connection without interruption.
- This type of connection is not possible using 4G and hence came the requirement of 5G to connect IoT devices to the internet and maintain flawless connectivity.
- 5G would prioritize its data flow and connectivity based on the devices connected. Iot and 5G both are designed for gadgets which needed to be connected 24*7 to internet services.
IOT and 5G integration benefits for different industries:
In the automation industry 5G is used for connected cars that use the augmented reality and virtual reality concept. IoT in automation will connect the cars and other vehicles with cloud services, and help maintain the security of drivers and also help you in maintaining the vehicle.
Since the 5G network is more reliable and secure, it is perfect for industrial use. For industries, 5G integrates with IoT devices and provides extreme security by integrating security into the core architecture of the network.
Healthcare industry too would be benefited with the internet of things devices getting connected with 5G.It can be used to live to transmit high-definition videos that can be monitored remotely.
With the help of 5G networks and IoT devices, communication service providers will start using wireless broadband instead if fiber network. This will immensely save the cost that these providers incur due to the laying of the fiber optic cables for home broadband usage.
5G will revolutionize the world, and with its integration with the internet of things devices, it will change the world for the better. Every industry will be benefited because of the evolution of the network from 4G to 5G.
The progress from 4G to 5G is evident, but still, it won’t take over 4G overnight, it will take some time as carriers will use wide area network, and short-range wireless technologies to deliver the 5G services. It will be a gradual process, but it will surely have a positive impact on IoT technology and Internet of things devices.